Sunday 24 July 2011

Let's Hear it for New York

Today, more than anywhere else, I wish I was in New York. There are two reasons for this - both of which are undeniably very me.

---

The first reason is theatrical. 10 days ago, previews began at New World Stages in New York City for the revival production of the musical RENT, which is to open officially on August 11th. To say I loved this show would be a laughable understatement - it is undoubtedly one of my favourite musicals of all time, and that's coming from somebody who is hates picking favourites. But I have never had the pleasure of seeing it live, and to do so is something of a dream of mine. If only...

The RENT revival cast during Seasons Of Love. Source

---

The second reason is something very special which happened today - or rather, many very special somethings. As you may know, the Marriage Equality Act was passed on June 24th, making same-sex marriage legal in the state of New York. Today was the day this Act came into effect.

I cannot begin to imagine what the atmosphere must have been like, as hundreds of couples queued up to make their vows. Many, I'm sure, will have been patiently waiting months, years, or even decades for this day, when they could finally be officially wed to the one they love. Just the thought of it has had me periodically grinning to myself throughout the day; to have been there would have been simply incredible.

This is a small step, and there is still an enormous amount to be done before we reach equality. But it is a step nonetheless. And when you imagine the smiling faces of all those who married today, somehow it doesn't seem so small anymore. I wish every one of them all the best, and hope that other states, and other countries, will be following New York's example soon. 

Niagara Falls, New York. Source

Let's hear it for New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do

Don't you just love it when song lyrics suddenly take on new meaning?

---

EDIT: Okay, so I just discovered that the New York Public Library looks like this:

New York Public Library. Source
Make that three reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment